Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Denim, Denim, Denim...


So…currently in my life I am doing something that I have never done before. I am working in a real office. Now, I know what you are saying to yourself, “But Self, didn’t Jess work in the Young Life office?” Why, yes I did. But the Young Life office has an entire section devoted to mullet wigs and platform shoes…doesn’t count as an Office-Office.

Aside: saying a word twice (as every teenage girl knows) makes the word mean something completely different. Example: “Do you like him? Or do you like- like him.” You get where I am going here.

So, I work in an Office-Office. Let me paint you a picture…cubicles as far as the eye can see, headsets like Janet (Ms. Jackson if your nasty) would wear atop every head, and coffee so bad it could be classified as a chemical weapon (Starbucks via is keeping me alive). However, in spite of the very “corporate” feel of my surroundings, the environment of the office is relatively…hmmmm…how should I say this? Festive…yep, these people love to party…and to decorate for parties/seasons. Literally every week since I have been working in this foreign environment, there has been some sort of party/extravaganza. Examples:

o   Cardinals Tailgate Party

o   Gift Basket Raffle Party

o   Charitable Giving Kick-Off Party

o   Rams Tailgate Party

o   Halloween Party (complete with costumes)

There is only one thing that this Office-Office loves more than pizza, nachos, and a large cake from Sam’s, and that’s an excuse to wear blue jeans. I have never had a job where a nice pair of jeans was not work appropriate, but the official dress code in the Office-Office is “business casual”. So, I made sure that I stocked up on “non-jeans” (a.k.a. slacks) for my new corporate life. However, in the 5 weeks I have been “officing”, I have had the opportunity to wear jeans all but 5 days. I start thinking to myself…”I wonder if I will need to pull out the fancy slacks for work tomorrow?” Then an email lands itself in my inbox stating things like, “you can wear blue jeans on Cardinals game days and the day after a Cardinals win; Our giving campaign has started. Feel free to wear jeans; or, Good job on the giving campaign…jeans all week!” What am I going to do with all these slacks? (insert witty pun about “slacking”).

In all seriousness, I am enjoying my job much more than I had anticipated. The people I work with are kind, encouraging, and hilariously mid-western (Examples: loving pro-sports, bowling leagues, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast). They think I am ridiculously Southern, and always ask me to repeat the phrases that I say. Who knew the phrase “fixin’ to” could be so amusing? The work itself is challenging and strangely relational. I think the Lord knew what he was doing placing me in a job that would both provide me a way to support Peter and I, so he could focus on school, and allow me to use the relational gifts He has given me…entering into a person’s tough situation and giving them the tools to recover…maybe this job isn’t so different after all.

Next week I am going on my first business trip that doesn’t involve a camp…details to follow.

 

Sper…out.

 

               

               

2 comments:

  1. i somehow missed this post until just now! i am jealous of all the ways your office gets around the jean laws... i may have to take notes :)

    ReplyDelete